Remixing is a great way for new producers of electronic music to get creative and showcase their skills. However, it can also be challenging to create a remix that truly stands out and does justice to the original track. Here are some best practices for remixing that will help you get started on the right foot.
I. Familiarize Yourself with the Original Track
- Take the time to listen to the original track several times.
- Pay attention to the song structure, sounds used, and overall vibe.
- This will give you an idea of what you can do to make your remix unique.
II. Respect the Original Artist’s Vision
- Stay true to the original track while adding your own touch.
- Avoid making drastic changes that would change its essence.
III. Experiment with Different Sounds and Effects
- Add your own sounds and effects to the original track.
- Experiment with synths, drum samples, and effects.
- Make sure the new sounds complement the original track.
IV. Pay Attention to the Mixdown
- Blend individual tracks to create the final mix.
- Control volume levels, panning, and other mix elements.
V. Get Feedback from Others
- Share your work with others.
- Listen to their suggestions and feedback.
- Continuously refine your remix.
By following these best practices, you’ll be well on your way to creating a standout remix that showcases your skills and pays respect to the original track. Good luck, and have fun!
Here’s a playlist of remixes I have created and are available for free download
And here is a playlist on youtube with videos